I think that everyone should mod an Altoid container sometime in their life, because they are cool little tins with a lot of potential. I’ll admit that I had never made something in an Altoid tin before, and after watching my boyfriend build a phone charger last week, I thought it would make a perfect project to do one for myself.
The most difficult part was getting it all to fit correctly in the tin, since it’s a pretty tight fit. I used a blue LED for the indicator light and a toggle switch, since I thought the finish went nicely with the metal case. Andrew had some USB ports from another hub that we used. Cutting into the container was difficult since we didn’t have metal cutters at home, but with a drill we were able to make enough room to wiggle in the port, the switch and the LED holder. After it was in, I secured it with hot glue and super glue. Then I soldered a few wires and resistors together, and that was pretty much it! It seems to be working pretty well.
The glue is remnants of the other hub we took it from.
The gooey stuff is dried hot glue. It’s not the greatest looking thing inside, but it’s all sturdy!